Friday, January 30, 2009

Settling and veggies?


I feel like this week I have become more settled in Iowa. I'm feeling more like I belong here, or that I am part of this place, as opposed to someone just visiting.

Wally's playgroup has been such a blessing for me. Not only does it make it possible for me to get groceries by myself (a time a thoroughly enjoy as "me time"), but I have met some wonderful Moms and Dads, not to mention the kids. It is an amzaing feeling to have your own child come running up to see you when you've been gone, but to have another's child need you, and only you, for comfort while their parent is gone is amazing. Having a small child know me well enough to feel safe in my arms makes me feel at home. I am now at home at Wally's playgroup.

I have also met many parents from many different backgrounds. To see everyone care for eachother is amazing. To see the kids of all shapes, sizes and colors playing together as though none of them is different is refreshing and should give us all hope and peace. It is also a great way to learn about different cultures, and in that way is very interesting. I am glad Wally and I have this opportunity. That is the great thing about a college town.

Wally and I went swimming with some friends from playgroup yesterday. Sander and his mom live near by and enjoy many of the same things we do. Sander is a little over a month younger than Wally. It was great to do something with friends. I guess I could say that was my first time doing that in, oh 5 months or so. We are also getting together tonight to go to a kids night at the mall. Wally and Sander have a blast together. We sure miss Reder and baby Ruby though. Nothing can replace family by any means.


So, I am starting to feel a bit sentimental and should get to some pictures of Wally to keep all happy.

As you know, Wally likes veggies. Jason and Katie sent a comic strip that describes Wally's veggie fetish...
Here are some examples...

Wally eating frozen broccoli (still frozen)...

Wally eating a spinich salad...





Sorry for the "see food" shots!


That's our Wally!

1 comment:

  1. thats great that you are feeling like you are home. i've been in whitehall for 2 years now and i still don't feel like i'm home. thats great that you live in such a great community!

    ReplyDelete