Monday, December 20, 2010

Preparing for Christmas

Believe it or not, but this blog gets me up-to-date!

The other day, Wally got mad at me...

As a family tradition, we like to chop down our Christmas tree. Or in Iowa, we like to watch some cold schmuck cut it down for us after we find the perfect tree among many perfect trees at a Christmas tree farm. It is still a fun way to kick off Christmas. Wally sure likes his Daddy and does whatever Daddy does. He's a good helper too! Our Christmas tree and little man. To help pass the time while we wait for our kids, I made baby blankets for Brother and Sister. Wally helped me chose the fabric. The blankets are just simple fleece tie blankets, but it was fun to do, and now Brother and Sister will have nice warm blankets when they come home, just like Wally. I realize now that I don't have a picture of the final blankets (Wally took this one for me.). In Sunday school Wally learned "Go Tell it on the Mountain" to sing at the Christmas program. He sure loves that song and really rocks out. After watching the video, I wish I had gotten a full-body shot!

The preschoolers and Kindergartners were dressed as angels. Here is our Angel playing marbles in front of his menorah. (The kids are learning about all sorts of different holiday traditions around the world at Kinderfarm.) Our Angel ready to sing at church.

This is a horrible church photo of Wally singing their first Advent song in the program. He ran right up when it was time to sing. However, when it was finally time to sing Go Tell it on the Mountain, the kid freaked and wouldn't go up. Bummer. I was wanting to see him rock out!
Wally and I were shopping and he saw this fairy Christmas tree in a store and really wanted me to take his picture. ????Ah, the black eye.Tough kid.I still feel bad that I didn't realize how bad he hit is eye during the night. At least he got a good nights sleep, which he wouldn't have gotten if I had turned lights on and iced it. It's now in the ugly yellow-green stage. Amazing how quickly he heals.I guess as karma, I slammed my finger in my closet door and truly thought I broke it. It immediately started turning colors and swelling. I had never seen anything expand so quickly! It is still tender, but functional, so I must not have broken it. Last time I try to put my shoes away! Joel's Aunt Tammy sends Wally a Christmas ornament each year. This year he got his "very own jingle bell ormament!
Joel loves his dogs and took this picture. So, to respect my husbands loves, I've posted it here.
We went to see the all-time very best Santa ever again this year. He is always at the mall near our house, so it is handy. Not sure if you can really see, but Wally dressed himself with one snow boot and one shoe. The kid is a nut!
Santa has the best Ho Ho Ho, is great with kids, and really does his research in the toy department. Wally couldn't believe how Santa remembered when his teachers at Kinderfarm were little girls!
Santa is good and Wally can't wait for Santa to come.


Like last year, Sander and Levi joined us in visiting Santa. Here, Santa was asking Sander if he knew the kid on his lap.

Wally and I have also been busy making Christmas treats. Wally helped me crush graham crackers with his screwdriver. Maybe I have a bit of my Grandma Wynja in me, but I think I went a bit over-board with how much stuff we made. Its Christmas though!
We received a package in the mail from our adoption agency, CWA, on Saturday. They sent us gifts from Ethiopia that staff had picked up on previous trips. Though not the referrals like Joel had thought the package was, the gifts are wonderful. I'm wearing a bracelet that makes me feel a little bit closer to Brother and Sister. In the picture, you can see Wally in a shawl/scarf holding a picture on black fabric made of bark or grasses or something natural. The other day Wally said, I hope Brother and Sister are home for Christmas. God has a plan, and they will be home at exactly the right time (we just wish that time were right now!).

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know Wally had a temper. Wonder where he got that? I remember my dad telling me once that I'd probably get more sympathy if I didn't slam doors when I was upset. Sorry about your finger - that looks really sore.

    ReplyDelete