Wednesday, August 12, 2009

South Dakota Part 3 - Graff Family Reunion

My parents were awesome enough to let Joel's family have a reunion at their ranch (thanks Mom and Dad!). We had such a great time. Now that all of the brothers live in different states, it makes getting together rare, but very special. I'm glad we were all able to do it. Kathy and Murr brought their RV down, so the kids of course thought that was great. The first day, we (my parents, Kathy, and Ryan's family) went to Bear Country. I don't think Wally could believe his luck...2 Grammas and a Papa all to himself!

Wally called this bear Daisy...the bear was eating poop. Wally thought the way the bears waddled when they walked was funny. We all thought it was great when Wally tried to immitate the bears by wiggling his tush.We saw a lot of mountain lions. Most were asleep in their houses, but this one was awake. Wally thought the big kitties were neat.After the drive, we walked around the bear cub and small animal area. The kids had fun trying to climb on this bear. Getting all three looking was impossible. We had a hard time getting Wally to walk around and look at the animals. Not that he doesn't like to look at animals, especially baby animals, its just that he saw a train, and trains trump all... Here is Wally waiting at the train station. He held onto his ticket really tightly.
Finally, they made it on the train. Apparently, it was worth the wait.
Ever since Wally met Gavin, he's been attached. Wally is just drawn to him and Gavin is very good at playing with Wally. If I didn't know where Wally was, I just had to find Gavin. Thanks Gavin! Wally had so much fun playing with his cousins. I hope we can do it again soon.

Wally had so much fun playing with his cousins, that he got pooped out. When it came time to go to Mount Rushmore, he had a melt down. So, Wally and I stayed back and the rest of the family went to see the big heads. They enjoyed some ice cream after the walk around the bottom of the mountain.

I heard Molly ate it all!
We weren't sure if haying season would cooperate, but luckily it did, and Papa Steve and family were able to make it down Saturday evening. I'm glad Wally gets to know what a Real Cowboy looks like!
Jenna, Molly, and Wally all thought their new hats were quite something. They also thought each other were pretty special. Yeah, they are definitely related! The big day of the reunion, also happened to be my 30th birthday. My mom used to always make shape cakes for me and Jason's birthdays, and since I was home for my birthday, she did it again! Mom made a delicious spice cake in the shape of a sunflower. That cake made my birthday extra-special (besides being home and with all of our family). They say that there were 30 candles on the cake. Some got melted by the others and collapsed before they got them all lit. I guess that is what happens when you get old.
Luckily, I had help blowing out my candles. Thanks Jenna, Molly, and Wally!The cake was so good that Wally had 2 pieces. I hope I had 2 as well. Thanks Mom!My parents...I love you guys! Thanks for putting up with me for 30 years! Congratulations!Wally still managed to be a good traveller all the way home. He did look diseased when we got to McDonald's for lunch due to hours in the car and endless stickers! He did really well potty training during the vacation and didn't have an accident the entire 13+ hours in the car. He did learn that if he yelled, "Me make pee," we would stopped the car and he could get out and run around. This got old after 13 hours, but we can't complain at all. What a wonderful vacation. It is such a blessing to have such wonderful family that gets along so well and is so loving. I feel so blessed that Wally gets to grow up in this family. We love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment