Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pre-Christmas Fun

We started off our "pre-Christmas celebrations with opening Wally's Lego Star Wars advent calendar. I'm not sure how Lego Star Wars fits into the Christmas theme, but if advent is about learning to wait, this calendar was a pretty good lesson. It was hard for Wally to wait until after dinner each day to open a new door.It's impossible to get a "normal" picture of Wally. But look at that eye!
Wally and I made paper snowflakes after reading a book in which the animals made them. I had forgotten how much fun it is to make them. I learned at Gramma Kathy's bank that using coffee filters is great because they are so thin and easy to cut. There's always next year, assuming I remember the trick.
The wrapping of Daddy's presents...Wally was no slacker when it came to decorations.
Wally made sick Scout a "cat nap" out of a box lid, the little quilt I made him, and a little pillow from VBS. I felt bad because I figured she would never use it. Man was I wrong. She loves the thing where ever it is! Good work Wally!
This year, Wally was a sheppard for our church's Christmas pageant that is held outside. He looked pretty sharp wearing his Yoda costume!
Worshipping Baby Jesus.
As we had done in previous years when we weren't going to be home for Christmas, we let Wally open a present every-once-in-a-while prior to our trip. I love this method because then he has time to enjoy each present rather than being totally over-whelmed. Here, Wally and Joel are building a scoop truck using nuts and bolts. I think if the pieces would have been a bit bigger, it would have been more of a hit. As it was, it was hard for Joel and I to put together.
Ah, building Star Wars Legos in a Star Wars Legos t-shirt. Life is good.
A visit with Santa. Wally totally clammed up when he went to see Santa, which has been unusual for him. However, later that night he came down with a fever that lasted several days. I'm guessing he was just feeling crumby. I feel bad for all the kids that visited Santa after Wally did...sorry kids.
I love that Wally was just as excited to watch other people open presents as he was about opening presents himself.
In October we went to a chili supper for the Kiwanis club. They had a silent auction and Wally fell in love with a "kid-sized violin." During dinner he kept wandering over to gaze at it. After dinner we walked around the tables looking at the items. We let him bid on a package for dogs. After that he knew how it worked, and he kept wandering over to the "violin," picking up the pen, gazing longingly at the paper, and putting the pen down again and join us. He wanted to sign up so badly. Finally, before we left, we let him sign up. Well, we ended up buying a ukulele without Wally knowing it, so it was a fun surprise when he opened the present.
Gramma Kathy gave Wally an Elmo doll that does the chicken dance when he was a baby. Wally has been terrified of it. Once a year or so, I bring it out to see what he thinks. Every year he is terrified. Last year, he wouldn't even let me put it back in his closet. It had to be hidden in Brother and Sister's room. Well, this year he knows what the chicken dance is and he loves Elmo. It only took 5 years!
I would love it Wally actually learned to play. I think having Joel play his guitar and Wally play his ukulele would be about the coolest thing ever...maybe in 5 years.
After Aunt Tammy taught me how to edit pictures on Picasa, I played around with my favorite wedding picture - one my parents took. I liked it so much that I gave it to Joel for Christmas.
Hmm...more Star Wars Legos. I'm sensing a theme. Wally was equally excited every time he got a new set (Thanks to Reder and Ruby for this one!)
In true Wally fashion, he had to make all sorts of "good guy ships" before he could actually build the set.
I think the pouty face was due to me taking pictures, not due to the Legos.
Our church has a Christmas music program each year. The kids get to dress in costume (Wally chose to be an angel) and sing a couple songs on risers. Wally put himself in the top row and while they were getting other kids situated a boom echos throughout the sanctuary and the congregation gasps...Wally is no longer on the top riser. A man jumps behind the risers and soon yells, "He's ok!" Wally reappears and the man remains behind the risers until the kids are done singing. I ask Wally what happened and was ready to lecture him on being careful when he responds, "I didn't fall. I jumped. I wanted to see what was back there!" My lecture then changed. He makes a cute angel though.
For some reason, I can't move the videos to put them in order, so here are some random ones.
Wally found an old Christmas CD of Joel's that has songs by various artists from the mid- to late-90s. Wally fell in love with a rap version of Santa Baby and would bust out dancing. Not sure where he learned those moves. I might have a better video that will show up in a later blog.
Wally momentarily stumps Santa when he asks for Pixie dust.
An explanation of what is going on with Wally's Star Wars Legos. If you don't get it, watch Episode 1.

This is the second song later in the Christmas program. Notice they ladies put Wally in the front. However, as soon as I stopped taking this video, Wally and his buddy next to him start wrestling and wrestle through the end of "Go Now in Peace." I was such as proud mom after that program...

What a magical time of year. Through all the gifts and chaos, I think Wally still managed to remember what Christmas is truly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment