Monday, July 11, 2011

SD/MT Roadtrip Part IV

Before we headed to Townsend, Wally needed us to take this picture with Cubby (I think it is Cubby). Joel hadn't told his Aunt Patty or cousins that we were coming up, so it was a great surprise. Wally had fallen asleep in the car on the drive up, and kept sleeping after we parked, so I stayed in the car (until Gramma Kathy came to sit with Wally). I guess Aunt Patty hadn't cried all day, but when she saw Joel show up, she lost it. That makes the whole 2600 mile drive totally worth it! The weather was beautiful, so we got to enjoy their patio with Great-Gramma.

Cory the graduate with "big" sister Alaina and "little" sister Hannah. I can't believe how much they have all grown up since the last time we saw them. Cory is quite the man now, Hannah is nearly as tall as me and beautiful, and Tyler is definitely no little kid any more. What a wonderful family!

Gramma Kathy got Wally the world's largest piece of chocolate cake that was about 50% frosting.
A happy pirate!
Joel, Parker (Alaina's son who is only a couple months younger than Wally), Wally, Gramma Kathy and I took a walk to work off some of the delicious food from the party.

Then next day, Monday, was our only day without travelling for our 8-day trip. We got to hang out in Bozeman. Wally, Joel, and I got to see Reder's preschool, and then visited the lab. It was strange to be back, but was great to see so many great friends. I just wish we could have had more time to spend with everyone and see those who we missed.


Jason has gotten into bee keeping, so I got to wear the totally attractive suit and "help" him look for the queens in his 2 hives. We didn't find either.
But is was so fun holding about a billion bees. I didn't mind the bees that would land right on my face mask, but when they buzzed that loudly in my ears, it was kinda unsettling. Maybe next time we are up we can get some Daughenbaugh honey.

After naps, we went up Hyalite for a little hike along the road. Man, was it nice to be in the mountains again and breathing that air. How spoiled we were when we lived there.

The kids had a blast throwing rocks into the culverts and watching them come shooting out the other end.

Much to Katie's horror (ha ha ha) I taught the kids how to dam-up the water running down the side of the roads (don't worry, I also helped them break the dams so that the water would not ruin the roads). Kids and mud are such a perfect combination.


Team Graff


What a view! It was strange seeing snow and ice (and eating snow - only the white stuff), as we were used to summer in Iowa. I definitely don't miss the long Montana winters. Breaking the dams.

Our good buddy Aaron came over for dinner. What a treat to get to spend time with our best buddies!

On Tuesday we drove to the Reder Ranch, though it took us longer than planned as the interstate and hwy 212 were closed due to flooding (did I mention it dumped buckets the entire time we travelled on that trip?), so we had to go up through Miles City. We stopped in Broadus to get Bubu (as we had left Wally's favorite stuffed animal at Gramma's house). We also picked up all of Joel's old legos. Wally has done nothing but legos since he got them. Here, he and Papa were working on building an airplane.

Ta-da!

We drove the rest of the way home the next day. What a super fun trip! It was a lot of driving. Over 2600 miles and I think it was like 48 hours of actual drive time...I have to say Wally is an amazing kid. Not sure too many other kids could do it!

1 comment:

  1. My kids couldn't! Or wait, maybe it is me who could not do it. I'm a terrible car-rider. And yes, that is Cubby. Thanks for coming to visit!

    ReplyDelete