Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

After church this morning (we were United Methodist today), we decided to go on an adventure. Joel had learned of a marsh land to the south of us that was supposed to be a great birding area. We decided to pack a picnic and head out.

The first thing I noticed was the flowers. I love wild iris no matter how many times I see them. I also liked this shot because of the ladybugs at the top. I didn't notice them when I took the picture.

The first thing Wally noticed was the water:

The first thing Joel noticed were the bugs!

I should mention that the second thing I noticed were all the birds singing. The third, and sadly most memorable, thing I noticed were all of the water snakes! I hate snakes. I tried really hard to be brave, but I just hate them! I managed to enjoy our picnic while constantly checking to make sure a snake wasn't about to crawl up my shorts. After the picnic, we walked a bit deeper into the marsh lands. Wally loved playing get the bugs.

We also saw dragonflies, frogs and a snail shell. But, one of the highlights for Wally was finding all of the goose poopoos and playing, "Jump the goose poopoo!" (Will he ever out grow that game?)

We took a different way home and drove through a cute little town. On the outskirts was an amazing cemetary all decked out for Memorial Day. I'm not sure I have ever seen so many flags. Thanks to all who have given their lives or have lost love ones in the line of duty!

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs are great - What a wonderful way to document your daily life and keep us closer to what you're doing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete